Dhaka School of Economics (2010) has begun its journey to promote higher studies and research in economics and related subjects to cater to the fast growing demand for a large number of well-trained economists and professionals in related subjects to contribute to teaching, research and evaluation, policy making and implementation of nation-building programmes.
The vision of the institution is to help eliminate poverty and social discrimination, establish social justice and ensure that growth promotes human development and welfare, by focusing on high quality and conscientious human capability development.
With this aim in view the school shall continue its activities to fulfill the following mission:
- To deliver challenging, stimulating, and research-based academic programmes in an environment that supports learning and development of independent critical thinking among the students.
- To ensure, through critical self-reflection, that its teaching and research remain at the forefront of economics and related disciplines, addressing the evolving challenges of contemporary society.
- To make the institution internationally competitive and establish it as a Center of Excellence for advanced study and research in economics and related disciplines.
- To extend engaging interactions with society in Bangladesh and leading academic institutions in different parts of the world.
The School is presently housed in Bangladesh Economic Association (BEA) Building at Eskaton Garden Road. The place is free from noise and transport hazards.
It is a constituent institution of the University of Dhaka. Initially DScE shall start admission into the following subjects from the session 2011-12:
- Bachelor of Economics in Environmental and Resource Economics
- Master of Economics in Environmental Economics
- Master of Economics in Development Economics
- Post Graduate Diploma in Economics
- Higher degrees on research will be introduced in phases.
Study at DScE is particularly featured by application of theoretical, methodological and applied research oriented approaches for acquiring in-depth knowledge about the subject which the students can confidently apply in their respective fields to cope with the fast changing circumstances of a growing economy and evolving society in a country like Bangladesh.
The institution arranges regular seminars and debates covering various socio-economic issues. These would also help the students / scholars to improve their knowledge about different issues through interactions with a large number of specialists and experts in various fields.
The intention is to make the school a strong research-based organization. Both fundamental and applied research works are being emphasized. A focus of DScE’s applied research programme is to contribute to poverty eradication through multi-directional and multi-disciplinary applied research and giving special emphasis on relevant subjects. Water, Environment and Climate Change would receive proper attention. The academic and research programmes are being carried out with support from eminent experts in relevant fields under the overall guidance of Dr. Qazi. Kholiquzzaman Ahmad. He is the Chairman of its Governing Council of DScE and is also currently discharging the functions of its Rector.
DScE has already set-up its own modern library and has procured a considerable number of important text books, reference books, research publications and periodicals. It subscribes to a number of journals, both local and international, which will be helpful to our academic and research activities.
Development of a user friendly data bank is under progress to collect, analyze and store reliable socio-economic data and information, particularly relevant to Bangladesh, by using DScE’s own servers. Data bank will be accessible for academics and researchers including students, policy makers, investors and others interested.